Our philosophy and emphasis on compassionate care is rooted in our history and connection to the Sisters of Providence of St. Vincent de Paul.
In 1912, Moose Jaw was being ravaged by an outbreak of Typhoid fever, which led Father Woodcutter, a local pastor, to ask for assistance from the Congregation of the Sisters of Providence. They answered with the request, sending Sisters Mary Angel Guardian Mangan and Mary Camillus Bradley to answer the call.
The very day the Sisters arrived (on November 14), they purchased a building. Just two weeks later, they welcomed their first patient. Providence Hospital grew with the new city, becoming respected for its nursing and training programs.
By 1939, Saskatchewan’s settlers were struggling once again, this time against the tides of age and economy. The Depression had left many of its aging citizens in need and the Sisters answered the call once more, promising to care for the indigent and elderly. In order to fulfill this promise, they purchased the former Presbyterian College in Moose Jaw and turned it into St. Anthony’s Home.
Saint Anthony’s Home and Providence Hospital operated independently until 1983, when the administrations merged. In 1995 both institutions closed, and the new Providence Place for Holistic Health opened to care for the aged, and the Sisters’ duties shifted from administration and medical services to pastoral care duties.
The Founding Sisters of Providence of St. Vincent de Paul, provided leadership until 2002 when ownership was transferred to the Saskatchewan Catholic Health Corporation.